GRAMMAR FOCUS - PRESENT PERFECT

Present Perfect Tense

                 Present Perfect Tense or Present Perfect is a form of English sentence that states an act that has been done in the past and has not been done / not running in the present. Light period can now, just, last, yesterday, last week, last month, last year, and so on. Such a time should use the present perfect form. Present perfect has 2 types as well as simple present. Namely:
1. Nominal
2. Verbal

1. Nominal present perfect
Nominal form is present perfect sentence which after word have / has exist to be. To be used in present perfect is different from to be used in simple present and present continous. To be used in present perfect ie been.

Formula:

S + have / has + to +

Example:
1. I have been to India before. (I've been to China before).
2. She has been shot by me just now. (He had been shot by me earlier).


 2. Verbal present perfect
The verbal form is the present perfect sentence which after the word have / has V₃, not to be.

Formula:

S + have / has + V₃

Example:
1. I have eaten. (I have eaten).
2. He has taken that apple. (He's already picked up the apple).

In the present perfect sentence there must be a have / has word for either a nominal or a verbal form. The word has for I, you, we, they, and the plural. And the word has for he, she, it, and a single object.

> Present perfect in the form of deny / negative sentence
If you want to make the present perfect sentence in deny / negative form, then we must add the word not between the have / has and has to be for the nominal form, and between the word have / has and V₃ for yeng verbal form.

Example:
1. I have not been to China before. (I have never been to China before).
2. She has not been shot by me just now. (He has not been shot by me before).
3. I have not eaten. (I have not eaten).
4. He has not taken that apple. (He has not taken the apple yet).

> Present perfect in the form of a question sentence
If you want to make the present perfect sentence in the form of a sentence questioned, then the word has / has been placed at the beginning of the sentence or in front of the subject. And a question mark (?) At the end of the sentence.

Example:
1. Have I been there? (Have I been there?).
2. Have we gone to the Borobudur temple? (Have we gone to Borobudur temple?).
3. Has she eaten that food? (Has he eaten the food?)


               
PRESENT PERFECT VS. SIMPLE PAST

You must always use the Present perfect when the time of an action is not important or not specified.
You must always use the Simple past when details about the time or place that an action occured are given or requested.

COMPARE :

Present perfect                                                                                                        Simple past
I have lived in Lyon.                                                                                                I lived in Lyon in 1989.
They have eaten Thai food.                                                                                They ate Thai food last night.
Have you seen 'Othello'?                                                                                     Where did you see 'Othello'?
We have been to Ireland.                                                                                    When did you go to Ireland?

There is also a difference in attitude between the two tenses, which is often an important factor in choosing which tense to use.

"What did you do at school today?" I use the simple past tense because the question is about activities, and the school day is considered finished.
"What have you done at school today?" I use the present perfect because the question is about results : « show me ». The time at which the question is asked is considered as a continuation of the school day.


Komentar